I am a frequent public speaker in the Open Source and, more recently, open technology and free culture domains.
Email me if you are interested in me appearing at your event.
- Getting involved and getting things done, since 1999, Google Sydney women in technology summit, September 2013
- Fostering diversity: not a boring chore, a critical opportunity, Wikimania 2012, July 2012
- Saving the world with Python, PyCon AU, August 2011
- Graduation dinner address, School of IT, University of Sydney, April 2015
- Women in open technology and culture worldwide, co-presented with Valerie Aurora, linux.conf.au 2012, January 2012
- The Ada Initiative, Girl Geek Dinner Sydney, June 2011
- Starting Your Free Software Adventure, LinuxChix miniconf at linux.conf.au 2009, January 2009
- Gender 2.0: The state of the Women in Open Source community (paper), Open Source Developers Conference, December 2008.
- Precious precious precious data (notes), Sydney Linux Users Group, November 2008.
- Computational Linguistics, at AussieChix microconference, October 2008
- The Planet Feed Reader: Better Living Through Gravity (paper, notes), Open Source Developers Conference, December 2006.
- Free Software, and how to pay for it, Sydney Linux Users Group, October 2002.
Workshops and seminars
- Overcoming Impostor Syndrome training (as lead developer of this curriculum):
- Sydney, August 2015
- AdaCamp Montreal, April 2015
- AdaCamp Portland, July 2014
- Ally Skills Workshop:
- Make Hack Void, Canberra, September 2013
- Haecksen miniconf at linux.conf.au, Ballarat, January 2012 (with Valerie Aurora)
I don’t maintain a complete list of my academic presentations here, but my conference papers are listed on my research page.